Subscribe

Friday, April 29, 2022

Miscellaneous and Upcoming

1. The Retro Renzi Fest at BAAD! was a gas. Such a wonderful LIVE gathering of collaborators, friends and family, with Charles Rice Gonzalez as a thoughtful interlocutor - and I even didn't hate my own work!



2. Farewell to Elena (Yukka) Taurke-Joseph who departed this earth too soon, but in characteristically profound+kooky style. Elena had been a collaborator, fellow-blogspot penpal, fan and inspiration for several years since we first met in Nyack. Do yourself a favor and read this her last post, in which she says goodbye to her body. 

                       a still from grand pliĆ© wheel chair bound, posted by Elena 3/16/22 

3. In the previous post I promised to spend more time developing choreographic material. Unlike some New Year's resolutions, I actually made it happen: from May 5-8 we're beginning to develop a new dance - a live one??? - in a self-imposed retreat at The Dragon's Egg in Ledyard Connecticut. The cast is three young dancers - Brooklyn Toli, Crespo Rosario and Alexis Von Makulski - all of whom who I first met in 2019 at Rhode Island College, working on the short film Tumult, and invited to join me later that fall for Through Mabel's Eyes.  

                     Brooklyn Toli at right with Aislinn MacMaster in Through Mabel's Eyes

What will we be making? In part, it's provoked by email correspondence which I've been enjoying recently with Yvonne Rainer who wrote this in response to my December blogpost: 

Hey dear Marta: Good to get your end-of-year report though a trifle envious of your productivity !! I love your work but offer a gender challenge that may or may not engage you: How about a trio where the guy gets lifted and tossed around by two women? Or any variation to offset the traditional heterosexual version? I'm sure your abilities are more than up to it.   

So there's mission # 1 - a "gender challenge." In typical fashion, I've prematurely decided on wardrobe: boots and utility kilts (and I still own the black workman's lunchboxes I'd collected for the 10HL dance that never transpired). Luckily this rehearsal period will be an open-ended process, with no final product required. Rare too, because I don't usually give myself the luxury of making material without leaping immediately to capture it.  

4. Join me on May 13th at 7:30 at the Hoboken Historical Museum for "A Celebration of Screen Dance" presented by the Thomas Edison Film Festival (former Black Maria, with which I've had a long history).  My Wait a Minute is one of the 10 short films in the line-up all of which are varied and clock in at under 11 minutes.  As a special guest, I'll participate in a Q & A with Jane Steuerwald of TEFF, at which we hope to generate lots of lively feedback from the audience. Or you can stream, the program from May 1 - May 31.

       Actually I have to update these laurels - we're at 12 now, and counting + 5,000 YouTube views. 

5. I'm also totally psyched about another creative residency still a ways off - at Firkin Crane in Cork, Ireland in November. With a dream cast: Selina Shida Hack, Anka Sedlackova and Tina Vasquez. I'm hoping to lure some local talent as well, so spread the word to all your peeps in Ireland.  Surely by then the embryo gestating at the Dragon's Egg retreat will have been born...

 ... and the displacement / war ? conflict / death in the Ukraine will have ended?

No comments: