Subscribe

Sunday, February 27, 2022






















Welcome news and a great honor for me: a retrospective of my short films screened in person at a venue that is dear to my heart. Arthur Aviles and I have curated a collection of work featuring folks associated with the Bronx, beginning with the 2007 Porch Stories which includes a duet for Arthur and BAAD! co-founder Charles Rice- Gonzalez ... and concluding with the premiere of Bronx Magic, featuring Arthur and another long-time muse Aislinn MacMaster. Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 19 at 8pm. 

March will also see several live screenings of Dancing is an Old Friend. As of the 2-year anniversary of this collaboration with dancers Leah Barsky and Jenny Tortorello Walker, Dancing has been selected by about 3 dozen festivals, but this is the first one that's live and local: the New York No Limits Film Series on Tuesday, March 15th.  Later this month Dancing will meet LIVE audiences at other fests, including one of my faves, Borrego Springs in California and Fescilmar - Session for the First Time in Argentina

Will we read this in a few months - a few years? - and marvel that live screenings were still a novelty 2 years after the arrival of COVID-19? Or is this just another brief opening, as happened in summer/early fall of 2021 when I managed to shoot both Wait and Minute and Bronx Magic outdoors in public? As of this writing, I'm just beginning to ponder spending time in the studio working with dancers on something new. 

What's that? Did I hear you say I rarely spend time in the studio anymore, virus or no? I'm afraid it's been too true; I've specialized in the run-and-gun.  But retrospecting has reminded me that I do enjoy concocting movement in advance with dancers - oh right, it's called choreography - and I hereby promise to give myself time for R & D in the studio before jumping into what we laughingly call "production."

I'll get a chance for R & D in November during a residency at Firkin Crane, "the home of dance" in Cork, Ireland. I've invited the Queen of Exploration, Anka Sedlackova, to join me there, and hope to rope in a few other European-based artists - maybe Selina Shida Hack who I had too short a time working with on Wait a Minute. 

And between the months of March and November? 

Stay tuned.

And while you're tuning, check out my Filmography and you'll see that there's been something of a worldwide retrospective of past work: 

Her Magnum Opus (Best Female Filmmaker) Toronto Indie Fest

Through Mabel's Eyes (Best Experimental Short) Lion Film Festival

Red Dirt Dances (Winner Achievement Award!) Krimson Horyzon

Wait a Minute (Bare Bones, Thomas Edison, Miami Screendance,   Central Michigan, Worldwide Women's Film Festival ...)

No comments: