Subscribe

Saturday, December 28, 2019

2020, here we come!

A new year, same old me.
As we head into 2020, there's something life affirming about this old bird continuing her struggle to make dances, to make films, to make meaning. Upfront, here's the trailer for the latest which is just being launched into the world: Through Mabel's Eyes. 


Also upfront, a profound thank you to one faithful supporter who made a choice to donate $25 / month to support my ongoing work. What a big difference a small dollar amount makes in my daily outlook. Multiple film festival laurels are welcome - certainly better than rejection, which is the more frequent alternative. But you can be sure that's not what keeps me going. Some days what lifts me up when I get low is knowing that a specific human being sees and values my efforts.

Rather than listing laurels for foreign festivals neither of us will attend, here are opportunities where, depending upon where you live, you might actually get to see what I've made:

Her Magnum Opus
January 8th
Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford Connecticut
January 12th
Dance Camera West, Los Angles, California

Tumult
January 16th 
Motion State Dance Film Series
March 8
Midwest RAD Fest

Strategic Retreat
January 18
Screendance Miami

I'll be in attendance for the local shows in Hartford and Providence, because this spring I'm sticking around the northeast to develop two projects with student casts:

Hunter College  
For an intensive week in late January, I'll make a new dance film with about a dozen college-aged performers in the glassed-in Skybridge that crosses Lexington Avenue. I've collected costumes and music, and I'm actually praying for some precipitation since we're actually indoors this time. Can't wait!

Steffi Nossen Dance Company
For a season of Sunday rehearsals, I'll be making a new live dance with the teenaged students at a venerable school in Westchester which has offered modern dance training for 83 years ... and I thought I was an old bird! In fact, the last time I made a dance with Steffi Nossen students was Ophelia in 1994, so you do the math.

I have an idea that this one will be agitprop. But I am - for once - playing my cards close to the vest until I see what actually transpires.

Now it's your turn. Leave a comment, drop me a line, send me a donation. Or, if instead you're devoting your efforts to slowing the effects of climate change, I stand with you.

No comments: