Subscribe

Wednesday, November 06, 2019

The existing state of affairs

Status quo = the existing state of affairs
These updates which used to be monthly, now seem to be more or less bi-monthly. But except for this change in frequency, you may have noticed that they follow a pattern.  Lucky for me,  the status quo is fairly predictable:

There's completed work appearing in festivals all around:

Terra Vermelha / Red Dirt Dances at VideoDanzaBA in Buenos Aires, Argentina, as well as Ribeiro Preto and Itabaiana in Brazil.

Tumult will screen on November 14 as part of Kicking + Screening Dance Film Festival at Jamestown Arts Center; also at InShadow in Lisbon, and at Midwest RAD Fest in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

There's a project I'm currently editing which is nearing completion:

What She Sees 

(a working title, formerly Through Mabel's Eyes, see post below)
It's pretty close to finished. And whaddaya know, it's just about the same length and the same structure as I proposed in my application to the Norman Bird Sanctuary. Despite all of the improvisation involved (again, see earlier post below) I'm getting better at achieving what I originally set out to do.

Happily, for this film I don't expect to be tortured with music licenses - a constant refrain in here, right? - because I finally had the good sense to select music for which don't have to hunt down some reluctant middle-man-moneymaker, because I actually know the artist. I'm getting better at that too. Next step is to commission a score for a new dance film, and I'm getting closer to that as well.

There's a project on the horizon:

(At the moment the 10HL dance film I was somewhat prematurely gearing up for is now on a back burner.) But there's another - a dance film for Hunter College students in January 2020 - that's simmering on a front burner. Fingers crossed that we get to shoot in a totally cool location ... site to be divulged if and when permission is granted.


And a few anomalies to enliven the status quo:

Her Magnum Opus will screen on January 8th at the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, Connecticut. Aileen Passloff, its star, has been invited to show a live dance related to the Atheneum's Ballets Russes exhibit, and to submit to an interview, as well as screening Opus. My first feature film has had a pretty long tail, but I expect this to be one of its last public screenings. And note the italics on first, meaning there may be more.

I'm toying with the idea of making a new live dance. Winter seems like a good time to do so. Will I also shoot it? Probably. Will it be outdoors? No.

Along with the unveiling of a sample of actual work:

This one a deleted scene from Where Love Leads, to wonderful music by Kamel Boutros, cinematography (and garden!) by Jennifer Keller, danced by members of the Slippery Rock University Dance Department.  I do hope you'll watch / donate / comment / ask a question if you've a mind to, though I simultaneously regret that we all spend too much time on these darn devices.  Sadly, that's also the existing state of affairs.

No comments: