Subscribe

Friday, February 24, 2023

Erratically yours

[NB: this FREE platform is getting cranky, a few decades on.  I may have to migrate elsewhere soon. Meanwhile, your patience with the space-y layout.]

The frequency of these posts is somewhat erratic, because I'm never sure what's post-worthy. Is it time to blog because I have news that can't wait? 

It's certainly not news to you that I continue to create projects, and that those projects eventually find their way into festivals. Not that I'm blasé about either - the chance to be creative and the subsequent chance to share what I make with strangers is all I ask for. 

This also serves as a timeline, a public journal, in which I record the cycle of:

1. dreaming up a new dance film project 

2. putting it in motion

3. editing it, sending it to festivals

4. announcing that the dream / motion / edit has made its way to the public

For example, over the course of several months, you've read about what eventually became A Day's Work. My first post was in April 2022 about a planned residency to choreograph a new trio which would have a live outing; the most recent was in December when I shared snippets of it in the 2022 WRAP UP. Closing the cycle, I can now report that it will screen this weekend in its first film festival, at LensDans in Brussels.


Or do I post in here because I have some thoughtful contribution to share about a life in art? My pleasure in a long collaboration with Anka Sedlackova might qualify. Our recent residency together at Firkin Crane in Cork, Ireland was hugely rewarding - from our daily walks through a new city, to the completion of the video version of Bytost' / Being, to sharing meals and conversation with dancers Selina & Tina, to having her mature-yet-childlike participation in creating new work with people new to her. Having met in 1994, we are on the verge of our 30th anniversary of working together, which qualifies as a shared life in art. Check out below the trailer for Bytost / Being which testifies to our years of discourse, first as young women and now as older ones. From the synopsis: A compelling exploration of the many beings that inhabit a woman as she ages - animal and human, male and female, young and old.

No comments: