Subscribe

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

From the Woods to the Beach



I'm writing now from Martha's Vineyard, where I am in residence at The Yard for 2 weeks. My assignment is to be an outside eye for 4 BESSIE choreographers - Adam Barruch, Jon Kinzel, Jimena Paz and Marya Wethers - as they begin to create solo and duet work.

Between observing rehearsals and walks on the beach, I hope to get some of my own work done.  I've started editing ARTHUR & AILEEN, in which veteran teacher Aileen Passloff coaches Arthur Aviles in a solo she choreographed.  And I've brought a camera just in case there's time to gather some footage for my next miniature.

You may have noticed that I don't solicit donations here anymore (though I'm pondering a Kickstarter campaign, like everyone else in America...)   In fact, since I've become President of the Board of Dance Films Association, I'm always importuning friends and fans to support DFA instead.  

In July AQUA-BOOTY will be showing at The Big TV at the World Financial Center in a program centered around water.  It will show again on September 13th following a cruise celebrating Marge Champion's 93rd birthday.  

So this summer and early fall, you can see my work AND support DFA. Consider yourself importuned!

While you're taking out your checkbook, above is the 5-minute TALES TOLD IN THE WOODS, edited from footage taken By Rocco Michaluk & Co. during performances of Open for Dancing 2011, the biennial festival of site-specific dance produced by Island Moving Co. in Newport, Rhode Island.  Long may it wave!

No comments: